Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Heatwave Triathlon!

Last weekend I completed my longest triathlon to date, Heatwave! (Almost Olympic distance) The distances were 0.5 mile swim, 24.5 mile bike, and 10k run. The only difference in a real Olympic distance is the swim is 0.9 miles and bike 26 miles. I personally think it counts though. ;) This race DEFINITELY was named appropriately! It was sooooo hot out, even the water was warm... it felt disgusting! Here's my little race report:

Swim, 0.5 miles in the Reservoir: first of all, it was a little longer than a half mile. :( and like I said before, it was disgustingly warm water! all the females started in one wave so the first half of it was like a washing machine. I slapped and got slapped by so many people! I felt okay until about the last 200 yards. Stomach cramps and stitches started and I was dreading the bike and run. But I made it out! In 22:28!

Transition 1: quick and easy! It felt like it took forever, but actually not! In and out in 1:03!

Bike, 24.5 miles on the Natchez Trace: bike went fairly well! My average was lower than I hoped :( but that's okay. My hamstrings and quads were really really tight from my last run, it took a few miles to get loose and and keep a more steady pace. There was a couple hills but nothing too bad. Good ride!
Average: 16.7 (EW),   Time:  1:29:01

Transition 2: again, quick and easy! I did a flying dismount (took my feet out of my shoes, not unclip), ran in, Zoots on, grabbed my hat and belt and was off! Took 0:46!

Run, 10k on the Multi-Use Trail [(?) alongside the Natchez Trace]: It. Was. Hard. and hot. Bad memories here! Calf cramps, stomach cramps, all of that fun stuff. After the first 5k I felt a little better, like I had more energy, but not much. I ate my Bloks and drank at every aid station to stay hydrated (or so I thought) But apparently it did me no good. When I finished, every bit of water or gatorade I drank that day (and probably more) came back up! I think they thought I was dying, people had to carry me to the shade and they brought a paramedic over to me! -_- Anyway, it was rough and long and slow. SO glad to be done no matter how much I threw up! You don't want to know my time or pace ;)

After I was home and slightly recovered it didn't seem like it was THAT bad, but during it it sure did! Not my best race but I finished and had fun, and got 2nd place in girls 19 and under with an overall time 3:12:02!

No comments:

Post a Comment